Thursday, August 6, 2009

Stand up Christians in a bow down world.

The thing that has been on my heart so much here lately is people raising up and being the people that God has called us to be. Not just church goers but people that will effect our community, workplace, schools and even country.

Being a christian is so much more than just attending a Bible study once a week or even going to church or even reading your Bible. It is truly being a walking example of the goodness of God.

Sure you are never going to be perfect, but we should all strive to do the best we can don't you agree?

James 1:22-24 Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are a listener when you are anything but, letting the Word go in one ear and out the other. Act on what you hear! Those who hear and don't act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and two minutes later have no idea who they are, what they look like.
I think there is a world full of people that sit in church and hear the word of God preached, but they never go out and do anything with what they hear.
I was driving the other day when a man in a truck with a cross on the back of his truck cut me off then proceeded to yell at me and make mean gestures.
I thought "Man no wonder why the world wants nothing to do with Christians when that is all they see".
Listen girls: What the world needs is people that aren't going to just be people that hear the word preached they need to see people that are going to live it out. Show them what it is like to be a christian. If Christians are acting the same as the world then why should they want what you have? People should see something different in your life!
I like how this scripture talks about us looking in the mirror and forgetting who we are. I always thought of this meaning forgetting what I look like. That isn't what it is saying at all. What James is telling us here is that we are made in the image of Christ. When we hear the word preached we are not hearing what Jesus is. If you are a Christ follower you are hearing what you look like. We have Jesus on the inside of us. The question is do you remember that when you walk away?
I have a challenge for you: Let's quit just "playing church" and let's start being the difference that this world needs!!

6 comments:

trash talk said...

I agree with you 100%. In fact, our minister's message on Sunday was just that you are talking about. I read somewhere (and for the life of me, I can't remember where in blogland I did) that we may be the only Bible that some people ever see or hear. That just hit me smack in the face and it's so true. Every gesture, comment, look or frown is sending out a the right or wrong message. It's up to us which one we want it to be.
Debbie
P.S. Preach on Sister Woman! I love it!!!

trash talk said...

Oh mylanta...where is spell check when I need it? Really, I need brain check!
Me

Say It In Color said...

GREAT Words....you go girl!!! Thanks for the challenge and to keep me thinking about it, as it is something I've been trying to learn more of being more like Him....sherry

delighted heart said...

Great message! But what crossed my mind was maybe the guy had borrowed his brother's car and wasn't a christian! Or better yet had stolen it! LOL I'm sure you deposited a fair amount of grace on him that day! Now.... where'd I put my mirror?

Barbara said...

Crystal, The truth was never better written. We all need to practice what we profess.

I, like the man that cut you off,
sometimes forget to do just that.
Thanks for the reminder.

Barbara

Martie Abercrombie said...

That is so good. A good comparison is for me having my name and phone number on the back window of my car. I did so for several vehicles (not yet on my Pacifica). It sure makes you think before you pass people or drive erratically. Peoples first or only interaction with you may be what impacts there opinion of you and of others like you. Always think twice before you act out in anger or in haste. You are setting an example. (It may be the children in the back seat as well!!)